Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Reuben Casserole

I am 40 years old and not until today did I realize people made cabbage and corn beef to eat on St. Patricks day. I learned this from the most trusty sources... while talking to other moms on the playground after preschool and reading several Facebook posts today. And I thought I was good on March 17th by simply consuming a Green Beer and wearing a shamrock lapel pin because at the last minute I forgot I was supposed to don the earth friendly color. Oh well, I guess you learn something new every day!

So, in honor of this tradition I thought I would share a suuuuuper easy casserole with you.

Layer the following in a 9x13 baking dish:
:: 1 pound of shaved corn beef
:: 1 14 oz can of sauerkraut
:: 1 1/2 cups of Thousand Island Dressing
:: 2 cups shredded or 8 slices of Swiss Cheese
:: 6-8 slices of cubed and toasted rye bread

Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes or until cheese melts.

This recipe is SO easy, that you CANNOT mess it up. In fact, you can easily change it to your liking with no fear of ruining the final product. If you like yours more or less meaty, add more or less meat. If you like it more or less tangy, add more or less kraut, if you like it more or less creamy, then add more or less dressing. Well, you get the idea. You really can't mess this one up.

Come to think of it, any other day of the year you can subsitute Pastrami for the Corn Beef. OR, you could even use Ham and maybe Gilled Onions and BBQ sauce with Cheddar Cheese and Texas Toast. Mmmm! Or how about Roast Beef with Peppers, Horseradish, Provolone, and Sourdough? Okay, okay, I'm getting a little off track, but hopefully that will give you a few ideas of some things you could do to switch up this super easy concoction.

I hope you enjoy the meal and all the time you will save!
Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment